Monday 7 June 2021

Pomodori Secchi Sott’olio (Sun-drier Tomatoes Preserved in Olive Oil)

I am obsessed with making my own fermented and preserved food recently. 
A few months back, I started to make my own Chinese style fermented vegetables
After I had some really good Melanzane All'olio from WTF Studio, I'm crazy with verdure sott olio ever since. I have made Melanzane All'olio, and a few batches of funghi sott’olio (because I want to try the texture of different types of mushrooms). 

Here's how I have my first trial of sun-dried tomatoes preserved in olive oil:

1. Clean the tomatoes (of course)

2. Cut them in half, and clear out the seeds.

3. Sprinkle salt on the tomatoes and dry them under hot sun. (well, we have plenty. haha)

For my case, I dried them over the period of 7 days as the last few days were a bit cloudy and rainy.

4. After the tomatoes are dried, cook them in a pot for 5 minutes (I use 1:4 ratio of vinegar and water)

5. After 5 minutes, take out the tomatoes and pat dry them. Leave them under the fan for about 2 hours to dry them again.

6. Put the dried tomatoes in a jar. Add sliced garlic, peppers and dried oregano in between layers.

7. Finally, pour in the extra virgin olive oil to cover the tomatoes.

Make sure the tomatoes are fully submerged in the olive oil

8. Close the lid properly and put it in refrigerator. Now let time do the magic. (Refrigerate at least 2 days to let flavours develop.) 


2 days after I bottled the sun-dried tomatoes, I used them for my flammekueche and I love this!

No comments: