Sunday 30 November 2008

Forbidden Love

Do you, sometimes, get into the mood where you want your brain to totally stop thinking and crazily feed it with all sorts of junk? I'm in that stage for the past few days.

Well, first of all, I filled my days with "brainless activities" - shopping. (I'm not criticising shopping as an activity, but I do have to admit that I only love shopping when I'm in the mood of giving my brain some rest, or when I'm in the mood of hanging around with my mum, my aunts, my sister, or my girl friends. Never fond of shopping actually). Also, I watched a lot of movies (even re-watch Ironman and let Robert Downey Jr. entertain me, again). However, still, the real activity that can always give my brain some rest (but killing my eyes) is to read some mindless novels ;p
So, I went to Popular Bookshop for shopping. And I saw "Twilight" on sale. I remembered that I read it some where saying that this book is a phenomenon among the teens around the world after "Harry Porter" so I decided to give it a try. (Considering the content, where the storyline involves a male vampire and a human girl, I expected the novel to be a bit silly and twee, just right for shutting down my brain)

Like "Harry Porter" as to J.K. Rowling, "Twilight" too is the the first novel of Stephenie Meyer. However, it is not as interesting as "Harry Porter". After reading 2/3 of the book, I come into a conclusion - it is far as good as "Harry Porter" and I'm not as hooked. However, this is definely a book that's so entertaining that you'd love to kill time with.

I can understand why this book is a sure success among teenagers, especially girls. The forbidden love theme is so hopelessly romantic. Edward Cullen is of course a vampire and Bella, a girl he finds interesting. They are both teens in high school, where they met and fall madly in love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her. But Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him. Love burns high when thwarted by obstacles.

She is not supposed to love him, but she's unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him. She is so brave and me too, was touched by her total acceptance of love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to read it

薇薇 said...

ah.... teenage books for teenage :D