Thursday 2 February 2017

Portulaca Genuses

Does anyone knows the best website to search for scientific name of plants? Preferably I can upload photos and search.

I wish to make clear on a few plants from the Portulaca genuses, but when I googled, wikipedia is normally the first results, and I do have my doubts.....I prefer websites run by botanists in this case.


Portulaca oleracea
I always wanted to know the actual name of "sayur rumi" (we always call it 'sailumi' and I never know the actual name in any languages besides Penang Hokkien). I googled and 'Portulaca oleracea' looks pretty similar. Any idea?
got this from internet since I always forget to take photos of the vege


Portulaca grandiflora
The description in Wikipedia is pretty obvious "Portulaca grandiflora, is a flowering plant in the family Portulacaceae, native to Argentina, southern Brazil, and Uruguay and often cultivated in gardens. It has many common names, including rose moss, eleven o'clock, Mexican rose, moss rose, Vietnam Rose, sun rose, rock rose, and moss-rose purslane." I'm sure this is the beautiful multi-colours flowers that my mum plant in the garden.
from my mum's garden


Portulaca gilliesii
Wikipedia described this as "Portulaca gilliesii ( silk flower ) is an annual plant succulent in the family Portulacaceae , which can reach 3 dm tall. It is native to India and the Middle East , and naturalized world; in many regions it is considered weeds". The photos provided by wikipedia is very different from the 紫米 that I planted. However, if you search google image for 'Portulaca gilliesii', all the top photos show 紫米. So which is which?

No comments: