Saturday 15 March 2014

Onsen Tamago DOE - SBR2

Continue with my yesterday Onsen Tamago DOE, today I bought another 10 eggs to office.
I have been thinking about the 'disadvantages' of using kettle in this experiment - the direct heat from the heating plate at the bottom of the kettle. Hence, today I tried to add in another factor -- container.

Purpose: To find the combination for "perfect" onsen tamagao using tools available in the office
Material & Apparatus: kettle, bowl, spoon, eggs, cold water, plastic container
Factors: amount of water, temperature, number of eggs in the water, container

Experiment 1
Method:
1. Fill the kettle with water and boil the water.
2. Place y eggs in the plastic container.
3. Once the water is boil, pour the boiled into the plastic container so that it is at least 2 cm over the eggs and close the cover.
4. As control, slowly and carefully place y eggs into the kettle of boiled water using spoon.
5. Wait for z1 minutes. Take the first egg out from the plastic container and place into the bowl filled with cold water.
6. After z2 minutes. Take the second egg out from the plastic container and place into a bowl of cold water.
7. Wait for z3 minutes. Take the eggs out from the hot water from the kettle and place into a bowl of cold water.
8. Peel and ready to serve.

y = 2
z1 = 12 minutes
z2 = 15 minutes
z3 = 8 minutes
Results:
1) the 1st egg in the plastic container - both white and yolk are runny
2) the 2nd egg in the plastic container - almost similar to half-boiled egg
e) the 2 eggs in the kettle could repeat yesterday's results.


Experiment 2
For Experiment 2, I decided to give up the plastic container and focus only on the kettle. To solve the problem of "direct heating" from the heating plate at the bottom of the kettle, instead of directly add the eggs into the boiled water, I waited for w minutes before putting in the eggs.
Also, I just noticed that my kettle actually with water level indicator that actually not so hard to estimate. Hence, I could make my x level of water clearer in this experiment.

Method:
1. Fill the kettle with x level of water
2. Boil the water
3. Wait for w minutes for the water temperature to drop.
4. Slowly and carefully place y eggs into the boiled water using spoon.
4. Wait for z1 minutes to take out the first egg and z2 minutes to take out the 2nd egg.
5. Place the eggs into a bowl of cold water after take out from the kettle.
6. Peel and ready to serve.

x = about 1.25l
w = 3 minutes
y = 2
z1 = 8 minutes
z2 = 10 minutes

Results:
z1 = 8 minutes
the first egg (z1 = 8 minutes) - white is soft and springy but a little bit runny. The yolk is with nice soft texture. Most probably just a few seconds over cook from my targeted outcome.











z2 = 10 minutes
the second egg (z2 = 0 minutes) - white is soft and springy but the yolk is cooked.












  

Experiment 3
For Experiment 3, I left only one egg so I decided to try with the maximum level of water. Besides, I got so frustrated with the process of peeling the eggs so I search the internet again and get this tip: make a small crack (without breaking the membrane) at the bottom of the egg before you cook the egg. This tip proven to help in the peeling process almost by 80%. 

Method:
1. Fill the kettle with x level of water
2. Boil the water
3. Wait for w minutes for the water temperature to drop.
4. Slowly and carefully place the egg into the boiled water using spoon.
4. Wait for z minutes to take out the egg.
5. Place the eggs into a bowl of cold water after take out from the kettle.
6. Peel and ready to serve.

x = about 1.7l
w = 4 minutes

z = 8.5 minutes


Results: I know I am getting nearer to my desired outcome! The yolk is closer to creamy runny.
I have confidence that I can get my perfect onsen tamago in the office next week by increasing the w and reducing the z.

No comments: