Thursday 15 January 2015

Experiment: Cultivate Moss

You know I'm crazy and you know I'm crazy enough to buy moss from China. Suddenly, I decided to cultivate moss. At least, no harm trying :)

XT is kind enough to get me some moss today. Clean. Not those beside longkang but those at her roof :) It took me less than 15 minutes to get the following experiment set up after I reached home from work.

the condition of moss I received

Very unhealthy

Since moss reproduce with spore, I decided that I can easily cultivate them. I added some water and shake them well, hoping that the spores spread out to the whole body of water. (Internet guides say mix them with grinder but I'm not asking for trouble. Must keep my mum's apparatus out of this experiment!)

put the moss in a container

add in water

The spores spread well in this container (at least this is what I hope)
Mixture 1


I prepare another container for soil


Pour in the Mixture 1. Unfortunately I wrongly estimate the ratio. This is too watery.
Pour in Mixture 1

So I decided to get another bigger container with more soil, and pour the mixture 1 into this bigger container to become mixture 2.

Mixture 2 still a bit watery but I hope Malaysia sun can help me solving this problem tomorrow.
Mixture 2

Now I just have to wait and hope for the best. Will update once I success :)

No comments: