Friday, May 1, 2015

My Weekend Flower Bed Project

Where the idea comes from:
A few weeks ago, Moy See posted photos of her mum's beautiful garden, and subsequently, almost the whole world is uploading spring flowers photos on Facebook. I decided that I need a flower bed too! 

I got seeds from Moy See's mum, and I started to draw a flower bed schematic diagram (haha, typical engineer). I also decided to up-cycle the wine bottles as divider. (I read that the energy that could be saved from recycling one glass bottle could provide 20% less air pollution and 50% less water pollution. One glass wine bottle takes 4,000 years or more to decompose.)


So, after moving into this house for a decade, finally, I am converting this little corner into a flower bed!


The Weekend Project: 
Last Sunday, the project officially started!

I knew I need a proper hoe for this purpose, but I couldn't wait!! The weather was nice, and I was in the mood. I was not going to waste my time asking around to borrow a hoe, so I decided to use this tiny little hoe instead. For a person that seldom performing labor work, this almost killed me. Those muscles that I haven't used for years started to shout and cry. I ignored them and working hard under the hot morning sun. After almost 2 hours, the area was ready. I was exhausted, and decided to rest for a while before I begin the second phase. 




After my afternoon nap and lunch, I started phase 2. I dug holes and planted the wine bottles upside down. In less than an hour, before I could complete second phase, it started to rain, and rain, and rain! Non-stop! I gave up, and decided that I could continue during Labor Day.



The day before Labor Day, I saw this when I reached home after work:

My dad cannot stand the sight of wine bottles scattered in the garden so he decided to help me to complete Phase 2.



So, the first thing I did after my Labor Day breakfast was to add gardening soil for the raised flower bed.  


What I planted: 
I replanted my 3-weeks-old Asteraceae (sorry, still haven't figured out the species name) from their original pot to the flower bed.


I use Snake Plant as divider, hiding the bricks.


I also planted 2 rain lilies (葱兰及韭兰) that I bought from taobao mid of March. They don't seems to grow well, but I saw healthy roots so i guess they are doing well, just waiting for their season to bloom.
Rain lilies - Day 0 when I received

Rain lilies 1.5 months later


I planted lantana in the first row, and Asteraceae at the back. Hopefully adding enough texture and colours to this flower bed.

The corner divided by bricks is the special corner for my succulent plants. Since I have another batch of purchase this weekend, I'll complete this 25% next week.

Helping them to survive tropical sun and rain while they are still weak

Post a Comment